Are you planning a road trip adventure close to nature and away from traditional campgrounds? If yes, you need the right equipment that allows you to set camp away from rough surfaces or close to insects and prowling animals.
Rooftop tents offer an opportunity to camp in nature while staying off the ground and away from predators. These tents are easy to set up and convenient for campers who are out for an adventure.
There are dozens of great options for rooftop tents you can find on the market. This article provides the top ten best products with their features and benefits.
What To Look For
Purchasing these rooftop tents is not as simple as it seems. You will need to consider several factors, such as the cost, storage capacity, and weight before purchasing.
Weight – Rooftop tents can be heavier than the traditional counterparts, particularly true when dealing with the hardshell types. Therefore, before purchasing the tents, look at the state of your car rack to ensure it can handle extra load. You might want to get a better rack or change the car.
Cost – Cost is always a factor when planning to purchase rooftop tents. You will always purchase better models at a higher price. Therefore, you must be prepared to spend more for better comfort and experience
Storage capacity – Your rooftop tent should be able to fit all campers during an adventure. The tents come in different storage capacity to fit between 2 and 4 people. Some tents are designed with internal pockets for gear storage. Therefore plan accordingly depending on your needs.
Ventilation – Proper ventilation should be a requisite for a perfect rooftop tent. Before purchasing, ensure the tents have a perfect ventilation system to get more comfort.
Our Favorites: Rooftop Tent Reviews
Ready to shop for a tent for your Jeep, truck, or other vehicle? If so, check out our reviews below to get started.
1. Thule Tepui Explorer Ayer 2 Tent
This rooftop tent is designed to withstand different weather elements of any season, thus making it perfect to be used all year round.
The shelter can accommodate two people at one time with enough headroom to sit upright.
It is made from a poly-cotton blend with the idea of being used at any time of the day.
- The tent can accommodate a maximum of two people at a time
- Comes with mesh panels to offer adequate ventilation
- The tent includes a high-density foam mattress to provide added comfort
- This rooftop tent is designed with internal pockets to help in storing gear and other camping accessories.
- Slight quality problems
2. Thule Tepui Explorer Autana 3 Tent
This rooftop tent is compatible with a wide variety of car roof racks. It is a relatively lightweight tent build with high-quality polyester to last.
The canvas is further bolstered by several features, including a telescopic ladder, sunroof, and mattresses. It has enough space to accommodate three adults at the same time.
The tent is constructed from a coated polyester/cotton blend fabric to withstand all seasons.
- This tent includes a high-density foam mattress for comfort camping
- It comes with internal storage pockets
- A canopy entrance with removable annex offers additional privacy
- The tent includes mesh panels that provide ventilation during camping
- Comes with a single door
3. Thule Tepui Ruggedized Autana 3 Tent
This rooftop is made from the best poly-cotton material to guarantee weather resistance. It can be used all year round, holding up to three people at a time.
This is a quality construction tent that comes with several extensions. One of the selling points is its privacy canopy entrance with a removable annex to provide a sense of luxury.
The shelter has mesh panels to ensure optimal ventilation, while internal pockets are included for extra storage space.
- The rooftop will guarantee weather resistance all year round
- Can accommodate three adults
- Made from a blend of poly and cotton
- Designed with internal storage space and a spacious layout.
- Inconsistent durability
4. Thule Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 Tent
This rooftop tent features a spacious design with enough room for three people to sit upright. It is an extremely convenient tent that is easy to set up.
When you purchase this tent, it comes with several complementary such as a telescoping ladder to make entry easy.
The shelter also comes with a high-density foam mattress to provide considerable comfort and quality. This tent can fit a wide variety of car roof racks for camping.
- The rooftop tent is spacious enough to accommodate up to 3 adults
- It is constructed from a blend of poly and cotton to withstand all seasons
- The tent comes with a luxurious vibe, telescopic ladder, and foam mattress
- Mesh panels offer ventilation during camping.
- Single door
5. Ikamper Xcover Rooftop Tent
This is one of the best rooftop tents for camping adventures made with a durable poly/cotton blend. The specifications for this tent include a spacious design with enough room for up to 3 people.
It is easy to set up this tent, taking only three minutes without needing extra help.
This tent comes with a high-density foam mattress for comfort and quality, as well as a telescoping ladder for entry and exit.
Furthermore, the canvas is designed with a hardtop cover and built-in roof that provides a fast and straightforward overnight shelter.
- The tent weighs 120 pounds, which is light enough to handle
- Can accommodate up to 3 people at the same time
- A spacious design offering plenty of headroom to sit up and relax
- Comes with interior pockets to store the camping gear
- Relatively heavy
6. Thule Tepui Hybox Tent
This is one of the best rooftop tents you can find on the market. It doubles up as a standard cargo box on top of being a tent with few modifications.
As such, this is one of the most versatile pieces of camping gear on the market. It can accommodate up to two adults.
With this rooftop tent, you are assured of a considerable gear locker with enough capacity for two people.
- This is a sturdy hard shell tent constructed from cotton/polyester blend
- It can accommodate up to two adults when erected on a rooftop
- Weights 175 lbs.
- The rooftop tent is versatile and easy to set up.
- It is also weather-resistant and can be used during all seasons.
- One entrance only
7. Yakima Skyrise HD 2 Tent
This is a rooftop with a thin profile made from nylon material. It is one of the best tents you can purchase for weather resistance and use all-year-round.
The canvas is constructed with polyester fabric that is waterproof and weather resistant. A mesh panel is present to offer ventilation along with the extra-large windows.
At the same time, this tent is designed with an abrasion-resistant tent floor and an aluminum frame that increases the durability. It is designed to hold a maximum of 3 people at a time.
- This rooftop tent weights 115 lb.
- It is made from nylon material
- The tent can accommodate up to 3 medium-sized campers
- Comes with terrific ventilation and weather resistance
- The canvas is compatible with other Yakima products.
- Less headroom
8. Thule Tepui Explorer Autana 4 Tent
No single rooftop tent marches with this Explorer Autana for an extra room during camping. This product is designed to offer an annex that is spacious enough to fit up to four people.
The quality of materials used to make this tent is also top class, guaranteeing protection throughout your adventure journey.
It is constructed from polyester/cotton blend fabric that makes it resistant to all weather conditions.
- Comes with internal pockets to store camping gear and accessories
- Mesh panels in the tent offer plenty of ventilation
- Has an extended canopy entrance with removable annex for additional privacy
- Comes with a high-density foam mattress
- Relatively expensive
9. iKamper Skycamp Mini Roof Top Tent
If you want a rooftop tent with a downsized model fitting smaller cars, this is an ideal.
The iKamper Skycamp comes with a unique design that unfolds from the hard shell inside to create a shelter.
It weighs 125 pounds, and thus light enough to set up by yourself. The tent is constructed with polyester/cotton canvas that provides excellent resistance to harsh weather.
- Sleeker design that allows for quick set up
- It has a clamshell opening that allows for a higher peak roof height of 45 inches
- The tent comes with a foam mattress for comfort and shelter
- Also comes with a telescoping ladder for easy entry and exit from the tent
- Thin Mattress
10. Tepui Tents Low Pro Ayer 2 Tent
This rooftop tent has a lightweight but durable composite design weighing 105 pounds. It is one of the top products from Tepui made from thermoplastic materials that are durable and recyclable.
The tent comes with a base height of 8.5 inches, thus ideal for individuals concerned with a low profile. It can fit on a wide variety of vehicles with roof racks provided it can handle the weight of the tent.
You can place it in a small car when going for a single adventure. A telescoping ladder accompanies the canopy for easy entry and exit.
- Comes with a 20inch foam mattress
- Weighs as low as 105 pounds, and thus relatively light
- The roof tent uses the mechanism of transforming its clamshell design into a fully deployed shelter.
- Comes with a telescoping aluminum ladder
- Small headroom
Still got some questions about rooftop tents? Below we’ll answer some of the most common questions campers like you have about these awesome tents.
Are rooftop tents worth it?
Yes, these tents are simpler to put up and convenient. They will make you stay away from rocky surfaces and away from any predators on the ground.
Also, the tents will allow you to camp in uncommon areas that you might not normally consider for a camping trips.
What makes a good rooftop tent?
The convenience and easy set-up of the rooftop tents is the reason for their popularity. You can set up camp just about anywhere even when the ground is muddy.
All you need to do is attach the canvas to a vehicle’s roof rack and deploy it by unfolding and extending its ladder.
They are made specifically for people who are interested in living adventurously.
Can you use one on any vehicle?
Rooftop tents cannot be used with any vehicle as they are designed with a specific design in mind.
SUVs and trucks are the best options for a rooftop tent, with cars, sedans, and hatchbacks not the ideal candidate for the tents.
However, there are rooftop tents that can fit on a wide variety of car roof racks.
Are rooftop tents waterproof?
Most rooftop tents are made for all-year use, which means they are weather resistant.
The fabric used to make these tents is mostly polyester/cotton blend which are entirely waterproof to prevent you from getting wet.
As a result, most rooftop tents are constructed from waterproof materials to withstand the harsh water.
Why are rooftop tents so expensive?
The rooftop tents are most expensive compared to the regular tents used by individuals in camps due to the unique design and featuring many specs.
The tents are made with sturdy aluminum frames, long-lasting fabric canopy and collapsible ladders.
They also come with additional features such as internal pockets, LED lights and built-in mattresses.
To sum it up, roof top tents are becoming popular due to the many benefits during outdoor adventures. They come with a spacious room, quality construction, and weather resistance for an all-year adventure.
While these tents are more expensive than the other tents, they offer an impressive ground clearance. Therefore, the tents are an excellent option for anyone who doesn’t want to be disturbed by predators while camping.
However, be sure to look for the weight of your car and the construction quality of the product.